Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Simon Says Stamp | Stencil Challenge

Do you ever buy products thinking you will love them, then have them sit in a bin for, well, a really long time, completely unused? 

When I first started scrapbooking, I was a major hoarder. Heidi Swapp mega flower pack from QVC for $16? Sold. 5,000 piece chipboard set? I'll take 2. Every sticker sheet that Scenic Route ever created? I have multiples. Over the years I have purged a lot of the crazier purchases (mini Heidi Swapp iron, anyone?), but every now and then I get caught up in the hype of trends and new products. A few months ago I went a little crazy with stencils and mists. I know, I know. Most people love them. And I love them too, in theory. But I have a really hard time using them. I don't like the "messy look", which is the whole point of using mists with stencils! 

My solution is to use my stencils with dye (or distress) ink and a blending tool, then lightly "flick" mist over the stenciled image. The result is a much cleaner look that doesn't make me break out in hives. 

For this card, I used one of Heidi Swapp's beautiful stencils and two inks from Papertrey Ink: Aqua Mist and Hawaiian shores. I used my Tim Holtz blending tool to apply Aqua Mist ink over the whole stencil, then added Hawaiian Shores ink to the edges. After I removed the stencil I added drops of Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Seafoam and Mint Green. 

I am submitting my card to this week's Simon Says Stamp Stencil challenge, and Anything Goes challenge.  

 (Supplies - Stamps: (Stampin' Up!) By the Seashore. (Papertrey Ink) Free thank you set from 2011. Ink: (Papertrey Ink) Aqua Mist, Hawaiian Shores. (Stampin' Up!) Crumb Cake, Soft Suede. Stencil: Heidi Swapp. Mist: (Heidi Swapp Color Shine) Seafoam, Mint Green. Cardstock: (Papertrey Ink) White, Sea Shimmer, Kraft, Aqua Mist, vellum. Dies: (Papertrey Ink) Double Edge Banner, Parisian Lace Doily, Notched Star Banner Collection, Small Scalloped Border. Button: Studio Calico. Ribbon: Papertrey Ink. Gems/pearls: Hero Arts.)

As much as I love CAS cards, sometimes it feels right to pile on the layers... and shimmer cardstock, gems, pearls, glitter mist, and vellum. :)

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week! 

7 comments:

Emily Leiphart said...

Gorgeous card, Erin! I love that background and your cluster of elements. Thanks so much for playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Stencil It!

Tenia Nelson said...

So so gorgeous!!!

Susi said...

Had to laugh as I read this post, my head nodding all along ...
Hoarder of all things - yep! That's me! So much stuff purchased over the years in haste I don't think I'll ever use 1/10th of it, yet can't part with it "just in case" - uh huh! Me again. And having a hard time with "creatively" messy card designs (even though I love them when done by others) - nailed it! Me AGAIN.
But your card is GORGEOUS and definitely makes me want to go outside my normal comfort level to try this technique. Now if I can only find all those stencils I purchased years back ... (LOL)

Jo Nevill said...

I love your seaside feel card.

Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Wednesday Challenge.

Jo x

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

This card is FABULOUS in capital letters! The color palette is so dreamy and I absolutely adore the technique you created of using mists and stencils in a subtle, sophisticated, non-messy way. So brilliant! In addition to me absolutely loving this card, I also was so entertained by your post! I was smiling and mentally agreeing with you on the whole subject of hoarding. I understood it only too well! Thanks for not only being a great artist, but a great writer. It was a joy to both see and read this post and I'm so glad you shared your talents with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

Cara said...

Love the background you created Erin.

Unknown said...

Good for you in figuring how to use the mists in a way that you enjoy! The card is absolutely dreamy!!